My mom bought Dian's when I was in 6th grade. She also owned a children's store at the time. In 1986, she built a shopping center with friends for both stores. In 1991 she closed the children's store and focused on the ladies side of her businesses. Over the years she's seen most all of her friends with stores go out of business as large department stores, online shopping and cost of goods has all but closed local boutiques.
My mother knows her business, she knows her customers, and she knows her community. She has gone to market 5 times a year for 40 years shopping for what will sell in her town. I think the number one reason she has survived the changing of times, without a computer in the store..., is that she was there. She worked 5-6 days a week for 40 years. She sold clothing, not just purchased it. She put together outfits for ladies going on trips, to family reunions, summer weddings, work and church. She found the best brands for the best prices and the best quality she could stand behind. Her customers trust her. Her mailing list is huge and she has regular customers from over 2 1/2 hours away and from Missouri too.
Lauren, Erin and I went to MH to help her prep the store for her Retirement Sale. She announced the store was closing but we weren't sure how many people would come out the first week of the new year to buy. I'm so thankful we could be there to help her with the busiest days in the store's history. Most folks just wanted to talk to her and her employees and tell them how sad they were to see them go! It was sweet to see and also wonderful to know that it was the right thing for her to do.
In the last few years Mom has had some health concerns. She's survived hip and neck trouble, heart issues, cancer, knee trouble and severe breathing issues. It's taken her out of the store more than ever before, and yet, she's kept on top of most every detail.
I had no idea how much I learned from my mom until I started my retail experience. She treats people right. She is a woman of integrity, and she values her help. I'm thankful for the legacy of not only her business, but her ministry to those God brought through the doors.








No comments:
Post a Comment